HISTORICAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE JEWISH CEMETERY
On this page you will find further information on the Jewish Cemetery from the Denkmal- und Geschichtsverein Bonn-Rechtsrheinisch e.V. (Bonn Historical Monument and History Society).
The Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish community in Beuel since the early 19th century:
In 1854 the Jews of Beuel were given the status of a special community within the Bonn synagogue community; in 1875 the synagogue association with Bonn was dissolved.
Parish size around 1815: 120 (1828), around 1880: 182 (1885), 1932: 130, 2006: -.
Prayer House / Synagogue: Around 1808, a prayer house is mentioned. In the first half of the 19th century and in 1903, synagogues were built on the same property. In 1938, the building was destroyed (the above information is all according to Reuter 2007).
History of the cemetery
The Jews of Beuel used the cemetery in Schwarzrheindorf together with the Bonners. This older Jewish cemetery was probably established as early as the 17th century, the oldest gravestone is from 1623. The burial ground was acquired by the Jewish community in Bonn in 1818 and has been used both by them and by the community in Beuel. In 1898 the cemetery area was divided, the northern plot went to the Villich synagogue community, the southern part remained in the possession of the Bonn community. The cemetery was considerably damaged by the installation of anti-aircraft equipment in 1939 (uni-heidelberg.de).
Location and condition
The cemetery is located outside the town in Gensemerstraße, between the Schwarzrheindorf sewage plant and the Friedrich Ebert Bridge, directly adjacent to the embankment (flood dyke on the banks of the Rhine) with bicycle and pedestrian path, which was newly built in 2011. The tree-covered burial ground, whose state of maintenance is in need of improvement, is surrounded by a simple wire mesh fence and two entrance gates. As one of the two gates is open and the fence is in a very poor condition, the cemetery is easily accessible. A bench invites to stay (compare the pictures in the media gallery, inspection in October 2011). There is no sign in the surrounding area indicating the Jewish cemetery, nor is there any information on the cemetery itself. It is precisely at this location that a place of Jewish cultural heritage could be communicated to the numerous walkers and cyclists without much effort.
The geometry here shows the extent and size of the burial ground as it is still preserved and recognisable today. The maps of the "Preußische Neuaufnahme" of 1891-1912 show the burial ground still extended to about twice its length towards the southeast (roughly the western area of today's sewage treatment plant). Its size at the time of the construction of the flood embankment is given as 226 metres long and 26-32 metres wide (Brocke / Bondy 1998, p. 21); a measurement based on the topographic map DGK 5 suggests an area of about 7,200 square metres.
Gravestones and inscriptions
416 inscriptions from the years 1623 to 1956 are in the epigraphic database epidate of the Steinheim Institute in Essen.
The comprehensive pictorial-textual documentation of the Jewish cemetery by Brocke and Bondy, available since 1998, lists for the "largest and epigraphically most important ensemble of the 17th and 18th centuries on the Rhine north of Worms". (ibid., p. 20) a total of 453 gravesites and 444 stones from 1623-1956 (most with photo and comprehensive epigraphic explanation).
Monument / Note
The object "Jüdischer Friedhof Schwarzrheindorf, Am Hochwasser / Hochwasserdamm" is a registered monument (Monument List Bonn, No. A 1854 / LVR Office for the Preservation of Monuments in the Rhineland, No. 29258) as well as a significant feature of the historic cultural landscape area Rheinaue bei Schwarzrheindorf, Siegmündung (Cultural Landscape Area Regional Plan Cologne 438).