"How the Foveaux Cottage Came to the Ennert - and a Little Temple to the Finkenberg" - The End of Heisterbach Abbey and the Whereabouts of its Architectural Sculpture and Art Treasures
Lecture by Katrin Heitmann M.A., Bad Honnef
- Tuesday, 29 August 2023
- 8.00 p.m. in the St. Gallus Küdinghoven parish hall, Gallusstraße 11-13 (Küdinghoven)
- Free admission, but donations are welcome
- "A glass of wine to round off the evening
After 1803, the Cistercian Abbey of Heisterbach was also dissolved. The buildings were auctioned off to the highest bidders, their art treasures destroyed or scattered all over the world.
Some of the architectural sculpture, however, columns and capitals, as well as sculptures and gravestones, quickly found a new use as decoration in the parks of the local landlords.
Among them was J. H. Foveaux from the Mylendonker Hof in Limperich. In her lecture, Katrin Heitmann M.A., a graduate art historian from Bad Honnef, traces this history of "great art in a small garden".
The material for this is taken from her dissertation at Bonn University, in which she investigates the whereabouts of the former furnishings of the former monastery church of Heisterbach.
Arrival by car:
- Parking is available a few metres away on the village square (Kirchstraße, opposite "Kleine[n] Bäckerei") or on Hangstraße next to the church in the direction of the cemetery.
- You can park bicycles in the courtyard of the parish hall
Arrival/departure by public transport:
- Take tram 62 to the Schießbergweg stop, then walk for approx. 7 min.
- Take bus line 636 to the "Küdinghoven Kirche" stop, then approx. 2 min on foot.
- With the night bus line N8 from the bus stop "Küdinghoven Kirche".